America’s Cycling Capital
Time and time again Portland ranks in the top three, if not #1 for cycling in the United States. With over three hundred miles of bike lanes, bike specific traffic signals, and a community that not only supports alternative transportation choices but breathes an attitude of awareness towards all modes of transportation, we consider ourselves lucky to be able to help you experience Portland via the Bicycle.
Bike Maps & Information
- Ride Oregon Ride — Suggested routes/ rides in Oregon along with information on bike friendly accommodations, bike shop locations, and tourist information.
- Getting Around Portland — Free information provided by the City of Portland on suggested rides, maps, transportation opportunities, and community resources.
Best Places To Ride
- 11 miles – Our most popular route! The “Waterfront Loop” leads you along Portland’s meandering Willamette river, through Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge, and then back along the westside of the waterfront.
- 15 miles – The “North East Ramble” A staff favorite, this route takes you through the historic Irvington district, and close to the bustling section of Alberta street between 9th and 30th where good food and drinks are never far away.
- 15 miles – “Short, Steep, and Sweet” Don’t say we didn’t warn you… This ride takes you through some of the best hills in town, perfect for those energetic riders, pesky relatives (just tell them it’s an adventure) and earning some wonderful descents through the city.
- Further route choices here: Best Rides Around Portland
For Our Roadies
- Check out Portland Velo, your source of group rides across the Portland Metro region. Most rides have offerings from 15mph grouped all the way up to 25mph+
- RideWithGPS also offers a plethora of creative routes put together by users, and vetted by the community.
Where to Stay
- The Society Hotel – .1 Miles From Shop – Super neat restored hotel in historical Old Town
- The Mark Spencer Hotel – .6 Miles From Shop
- The Ace Hotel – .6 Miles From Shop
- The Jupiter Hotel – 1 Mile From Shop
- The Friendly Bike Guest House – 2.5 Miles From Shop
- Travelers House – Affordable, laid back, and a Yurt to boot!. 3.3 Miles From Shop
- Caravan – The Tiny House Hotel – A Truly Portland Experience. 3.7 Miles From Shop
- Air BnB – Various Residences Throughout Portland – Are you an AirBnB host and want local cycle maps for visitors to your space? Drop us a line and we’ll send you a pack of our shop maps for free!
- McMenamins – Various Locations, Staff Favorite is Kennedy School in North East – 4.7 Miles From Shop
Sizzle Pie – Multiple locations across town, hands down tasty pizza with vegetarian and vegan options.
Nong’s Khao Man Gai – Great Thai street food and one of Portland’s hottest Food Carts.
Pok Pok – You don’t get to be named one of the best restaurants in the US by sitting idle, and owner Andy Ricker is certainly no slouch. Check out their whiskey soda lounge while you wait for your table (it’s worth it).
Bunk Sandwiches – As the name implies, these are some tasty sandwiches. But don’t take our word for it, try em’ yourself!
Hopworks Bikebar – One of our favorite breweries! Check out the Velvet ESB, or wash down sliders with a light Hefe Hop. Earn discounts on your beer while peddling their electric bicycles, and see some the best handmade frames made by builders all across Oregon.
Pearl Bakery – Pearl starts off right with top quality ingredients, and a dedication to excellence in their craft that puts them at the top of our list.
Bridgeport Brew Pub – Try the soft pretzel! So good, it comes with spicy mustard and Beer Flavored dipping sauce! Also try the King Pin Red ale if you like Reds.
Prasad – If a cafe nestled in a Yoga studio sounds like a weird eating recommendation, prepare to be pleasantly surprised. (Veggie/Vegan friendly)
Art/ Music/ Events
PC-PDX.com – What’s going on tonight? Quick, check the single largest nightly database of everything musical going on in our city soundscape! – Staff Favorite
Mercury listings – Music listings by date and venue location.
Willamette Week listings – News, Politics, Culture + and Stuff To Do in Portland, Oregon.
Portland Art Museum – At over 120 years old, the Portland Art Museum is an institution special to our hearts here in Portland. With a curious and unique permanent collection, and traveling exhibits that come from near and far, this museum makes for an excellent visit any time of the year.
Other Things To Do:
Powell’s Books – Powell’s City of Books is currently the worlds largest independent bookstore, filling an entire city block and stocking over a million new, used and rare books. Few visits to Portland are complete without a quick stop to this unique location.
The Portland Japanese Garden – Featuring a large expansion to be completed in 2017, the Portland Japanese Garden is a 5.5-acre haven of tranquil beauty nestled in the scenic west hills of Portland, Oregon. The Japanese gardens also feature one of our favorite views of Mt. Hood on the horizon.
Lan Su Chinese Garden – What happens when the city of Portland collaborates with our sister city of Suzhau, China to take over a block of Old-Town? Beautiful Ming Dynasty style gardens, and and excellent spot to spend an hour, or the day. These gardens were crafted by artisans from Suzhou, and are regarded as the most authentic Chinese gardens outside of China.
Oregon Maritime Museum – If you’re curious where the last sternwheeler in service as a tugboat in the U.S. rests, look no further. The Oregon Maritime Museum packs the history for the nautically inclined in all of us.
Ground Kontrol – Where your childhood goes to come alive. Bring $5 and a buddy, and enjoy the best of the Arcade generation. As an added bonus, Ground Kontrol is a member of Portland’s growing “Barcade” scene – why not have a pint while you get schooled by Tron? While you’re there, also make sure to check out the Sophie Edition.
Case Study Coffee (NE Alberta) – World class without the sass. You’ll have to visit Case Study in NE Portland to discover what it’s like to drink coffee like you’ve never had before.
The Bye and Bye – A Portland Bar. One of our local hideouts with great eats and a kickass patio.
Podnah”s Pit BBQ – Epic Texas style BBQ on NE Killingworth St.